Thread: Sanity check
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2006, 02:11 PM   #10
Brucelee

Sounds like you have done your homework and know what you want.

Go for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rteichman
Well after much searching I decided to buy what people on this forum felt was the "too expensive" car. I'd like a sanity check. The car is a 99 with 43K miles red with black interior, sport package, 18"wheels, traction control. It is being inspected tomorrow by the local Porsche dealer and the sale is contingent on that inspection. I'm paying $20k for the car which I know you guys feel is too much. However, its the best car I have found that I can actually see before I buy. Yes there are cheaper cars in TX, CA and NYC but I won't touch a NY car (I lived there long enough to know the toll those roades take on cars) and the other 2 are too far to go see.

OK, now the sanity check question. All the comments have been to buy a 2000 or newer for the bigger engine etc. I'm comming from a Miata so the 99 has plenty of power. Its also faster than my "real car" (an Audi A6 3.0). Can I afford a more expensive car? Yes and no. I could technically afford to buy a new 911 if I wanted to but that would eat into my rainy day savings. Thus in reality I can't afford a new 911. Even $20k for a toy is going way overboard, my original toy limit was $10k but I want a Porsche. Finally I look at the money I spend on this car as being thrown out. Its a depreciating asset and over the years it will dwindle down to nothing. It also has a lmited life expectancy.

With this background, and understanding that $20K is already pushing my limit, do you guys still feel I should spend another say 5k on a 2000 or newer car? By the way I will put less than 5k miles a year on the car (based on experience with my Miata). Understand that I don't care about the extra power. So the only reason for spending more now would be a lower cost of ownership. Will the newer car really require 5k less in maintenance over the next few years?

Thanks

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote