View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013, 01:36 PM   #64
Perfectlap

^ Walther Rohrl was recently quoted as saying the Cayman is "easily" his choice between the Cayman and 991. I like the way he doesn't sugar coat his opinions. He made a top 10 Carreras list not long ago and he left the entire 996 series off the list. Ouch.

I don't think the Cayman/Boxster and 991 buyers are the same people.
For instance, nearly every non-Porsche owner who I know asking about buying a Porsche falls into one of two categories: If he's over 40/late 30's with little kids he needs the back seat and disqualifies the Cayman/Boxster straight away.
If he's over ~55 and the kids are out of the house, he can go either way as long as its an auto (a few exceptions but not many). In that age range, if they've already owned one Carrera they rarely upgrade to a Boxster, they want to continue with the plush Grand Touring experience.
Meanwhile a big part of the Boxster owners, either moved out of the roadster within a couple of years, either because of the impracticality or the whim simply wore off. I'd be curious to see what % of new Boxster owners are purchasing a second Boxster. Neither have I met many Boxster owners who weren't late into their 40 and 50's, contrary to popular misconception its not really a woman's car nor a young person's car. Whereas the typical Carrera owner seems to be old enough to be earning a good salary (mid-late 30's) but still far from being an empty nester. I really believe the Boxster and Carreray cater to very different drivers, certainly the repeat buyers.

p.s.
After spending over $12,000 to maintan my Boxster S, probably not much less than the car is now worth thanks to excess inventory of used Porsches, a move to Stingray or some other non-Porsche may not really be a choice. Unfortunately a Porsche is not a car one can drive for too long before relegating it to leisure time car status. Porsche is really too big, too profitable and mass produces too many cars for me to find that really acceptable. An old 964 or 911? I guess that's one thing ...at least these are cars of the extrenely limited and dwindling numbers and not of the swelling numbers ranks.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 05-13-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote