View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013, 11:54 AM   #61
southernstar

Perfectlap, this thread concerned comparisons between the 986 and 996 and the production numbers from post#10 in this thread show the relative sales of the two models from one source (as well as the 997 versus 987 Boxster and Cayman). Since the 2002 revision to the 996, it and the 997 have outsold (and often dramatically outsold) the 986 and 987 Boxsters. Prior to that, at least from 1999 to 2001, the 986 was outselling the 996. Something brought about that shift in preference by the buyers of Porsche sportcars - and as subsequent numbers show, it is a preference that has remained constant since 2002 in spite of economic peaks and valleys.

The only price I was able to find for the new C71 Corvette Stingray Convertible with the Z51 package showed a base price of $59,795.00 (with an additional $595.00 for red-painted calipers, if we want to compare the Boxster S with the Stingray). Orders are still not being taken, but no one is expecting discounting for some time. The list price in the USA for the 2013 Boxster S is $60,900.00 and most purchasers are now able to negotiate a discount. So from what I can see, the out-the-door prices are essentially a wash.

I agree totally with the outrageous price of various Porsche options (and suggested that one needs to option wisely). As to the track numbers that you refer to, I am not aware of a C7 Corvette Convertible with the Z51 package having been tested on any track; indeed, in some reports up until about a month ago, there were suggestions that the z51 package would not be available in the convertible as it lacks the factory rollbar that is required for track work (and which the new 981 Boxster has as standard - and at a height that will not require rollbar extensions as on the 986). If it was a test of the coupe, then I am sure that you'll agree the convertible will be slower as:
1. the convertible will be heavier than the coupe;
2. the convertible will have to add even more weight (and weight up high, where it will effect the Cg) by the requirement to add a rollbar for the track work that you refer to.
3. the chassis on the couple will be stiffer than the convertible, improving ultimate handling and precision.
4. the coupe will likely have better aerodynamics than the convertible, even with the top up.

If we are to compare apples and apples, then surely we must compare the Boxster (a convertible) with the Stingray convertible. Nevertheless, while no doubt slower than the coupe, I still anticipate that the Stingray convertible will be faster on track than the Boxster S. I said as much in my earlier post. However, I still maintain that it is a relatively blunt instrument which puts up better numbers with its larger, but less fuel efficient engine and with larger standard wheels and tires compensating for a relatively primitive suspension ( I mean, a transverse leaf spring????). I also expect that it will be less comfortable to drive in the real world and that it will eventually develop the usual fiberglass body groans and rattles.

You may (and apparently do) prefer the new Stingray to the 981 Boxster S and, if ultimate lap times are your main priortiy, I can understand why. Others will have opinions and priorities that vary.

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote