View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013, 05:39 PM   #4
boxster7614

First of all glad you made it to 200,000. I'm also on my third water pump at 120,000 miles. For some reason these motors seem to be hard on the pumps. I stopped wasting money on the OEM parts, after years of buying into them. I now feel most of the time its a great sales tactic and provides a false sense of security thinking you are getting a better part. The pump isn't hard to change and only takes a couple of hours, just make sure you don't put the key in the ignition while you have the passenger seat removed or you will trigger the airbag light. A small swivel socket attachment really helps too! First time I changed the pump I bought into the whole Porsche coolant idea at $50 a gallon, only to watch my expensive coolant run down the street when it blew again. I bought my last pump at Autozone for $150 with a lifetime warranty, That way I don't have to pay for it again when it goes out next time. I wouldn't waste my money on the $50 a gallon Porsche lifetime coolant. Just get a compatible coolant and change it every 5 years, chances are the water pump will go out before then anyways. Make sure you open the coolant vent and drive around a few days to let the gas bubbles vent out. Then close it and top it off. Pump and coolant should probably just be put on the maintenance service list every 40,000 miles.
boxster7614 is offline   Reply With Quote