View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013, 04:57 PM   #23
boxster7614

Nice job on your customizing. You are one of the few of us that dare to open the lights as its a bit tricky and stressful getting them apart....not to mention running the chance of breaking or melting your expensive lights. I practiced with an old amber set I had laying around before I started opening the clear ones.

Question, Why did you make your own LED angel eyes when you can buy them already made?

Theretrofitsource has some nice ones that are very close together the only exception, like I said in another post, is they are yellow when not lit which is a turn off for me. Also I noticed you mounted your HID ballast inside your head light. This is a big No No as heat kills electronics especially the LED's won't last under heat. Before I retrofited my HID projectors I put LED's in just the small park/background light (Not sure what they call it; the small bulb placed to the side, the one that stays lit while the headlight is not) and it would keep burning out after 6 months from the heat inside the headlight. The LED's are supose to last a long time but heat kills. I've even thought of maybe installing a small fan with a filter to vent the lights.

I did the same thing as you the first time around mounting the ballasts on the inside. but I could feel how hot the light was getting on the outside and later started having problems with the ballasts not firing. If you notice the Ballasts have cooling fins built in and need to have cooler air in order to transfer the heat. There is plenty of space to mount them to the outside of the cover, just drill a hole and put a rubber grommet and some sealant. I do use my Dremel tool to trim some of tabs so the ballast and grommet sit flush. I then use a little mounting tape and a couple of Zipties to mount the ballast to the backside.
boxster7614 is offline   Reply With Quote