View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013, 09:19 AM   #85
Overdrive
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbear61 View Post
....Adding that to the Dangermobile would be like walking around with a nametag on your left side, "Hi, my name is Danger. Johnny Danger."....

DBear
DBear...don't give him such ideas...he might just do it

Johnny, I'm not usually a fan of that stripe (talking about the Porsche one, not that 9ff thing, not even touching that), but it's not terrible here. And for those calling it a "Spyder" stripe, this decal has existed long before the Spyder ever came along, so doing this is not the typical poseur act of, say, putting anything like GT3 or GT2, RS, RSR, or anything of that sort on a Boxster when none of those really belong there.

As I've stated previously, though, I've had decals like this ruined for me by the likes of V6 Mustangs that get all sorts of gaudy things thrown on them to make them seem like anything more than a cheap, underpowered slag in somewhat tasteful skin. Seeing the "Carrera" script on the side of an old air-cooled classic is one thing, but this sort of decal always felt more like a "Hey, look! I have a Porsche, too!" shout, and unnecessary, even on the Spyders that actually have the extra performance to back it up.

Ok, enough crapola. Johnny, I feel that the abrupt ending with the door seam because of the skirt is understandable, but to me that makes it seem like an incomplete job. Tedious as it'd be, I think it would be worthwhile to have the rest of the stripe that will fit into that few inches past the door leading up to the edge of the skirt would look better. It would at least complete the line up until the point of it naturally being hidden by the body cladding.

Just my opinion, because of course when you get right down to it it's your car and you do what you like with it...ain't my cash footin' the bill.

Also, if you need someone to acquire and do the vinyl job for you, I've got a friend who does it for a living and is excellent at the work. If you want me to put you in touch with him just shoot me a PM and we'll chat. May save you a bit of money and searching unless you're just looking to DIY.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top

Last edited by Overdrive; 05-11-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote