View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013, 10:06 PM   #17
drbodzin
San Diego Boxster

Garage
Cool

Hi Batman,

I had the exact same problem occur not too long ago. So I feel you frustration. You can hear the convertible motor getting power, but its stuck. This occurred for me cause the two convertible transmissions got out of sync some how and cause them to jam. There is a solution.

Step 1: From inside the car, you have to remove the clips that attach the rams/shocks to the clam shell. Use long needle nose pliers to get them off. I found it easiest to reach them by removing the wind blocker from the roll bar and reach over the engine compartment.

Step 2: Once the two retaining clips are removed, you will be able to manually lift the clam shell. Then you can proceed.

Step 3: If you plan on continuing to use the electric motor, be sure you sync them before you put it all back together. I found it easiest to leave one of the transmission cables attached to the electric motor and the other I removed from the motor and attached to a drill. I then measured the distance from one of the two alignment pins on the back of the clam shell to the top of the hole where it gets seated. Then use the drill to adjust the other cable to either raise or lower the other side of the clam shell until the measurements are the same for both sides. The manuals I've read say to measure from the top of the trunk seal to the transmission leaver, but I found this method much more reliable. Once equal, insert the transmission cable back in the electric motor.

Step 4: Reattach the shocks to the clam shell. You should be able to reuse the clips you removed in step 1.

Step 5: The arms that connect the conv transmission levers to the convertible top can be adjusted as well. I suggest you slightly loosen the nut that is used to adjust their length. Then once you have the entire conv assembly put back together, close the convertible top completely and latch it down. With it latched down, reach inside the car through the roll bar and feel for the 10mm nut. I found it easiest to do this by standing outside the car and reach back with your arm through the roll bar. For example, for the right side of the car, I used my left hand to reach back. Tighten each one while the top is latched close. This will set the length of the arms correctly.

Now both transmissions are synced and the length of the levers are set correctly.

I know this would be easier with pics, but I didn't take any when I did this project.

1998 Black Boxster (owned since 2001)
drbodzin is offline   Reply With Quote