View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013, 06:33 AM   #16
Overdrive
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
My top is currently manual, and not by choice. I broke it a while back, and when it finally came time to get at the engine for some maintenance, the shop had to dismantle the hardware for the top and clamshell so they could access the engine bay. I just had them leave it that way and plan to fix it myself because it's simply too expensive between parts and labor to have them do it.

I'd really recommend against the manual thing. My clamshell rattles upon hitting the slightest road imperfections since it's no longer really connected to anything that used to hold it rigid, and it doesn't actually sit flush when you put the top down. The motorized setup gives that extra press to ensure the top is fully collapsed and that the clamshell sits flush with the rest of the bodywork. When I fold the top manually, the clamshell rests slightly but noticeably above the line with the trunk lid, and as such it doesn't fully press down the lever with the microswitch that tells the car the top is either full up or full down. If I hit a bump or anything else caused the clamshell to move, the windows would drop while I was driving. I could press down on the thing all I want, but the top just won't let the clamshell sit flush. I've since tied down the lever for the switch, but overall it is more trouble than it's worth, and the rattling bugs the hell out of me. I'll be looking to fix it this summer so I can go back to having a quieter drive.

When it comes to putting the top down/up on the road, if you know your local area well then you'll know which lights will give you enough time to do it normally. I find it's not much of a hassle to either find a spot to pull over and do it or just pull into an establishment for the 30 seconds it will take to park, drop/raise, and get back out into traffic again. Keeps me from bugging anyone if the light changes and I can't move yet.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote