View Single Post
Old 05-08-2013, 04:21 AM   #7
southernstar

Quite a fair review stone and one that largely mirrors my own experience. Prior to buying my 986 2.7 Boxster I also tried a couple of 996's and, status issues aside, I found that the handling (and exhaust note - no doubt helped by the side air intake) on the 986 to literally scream 'sport car', whereas the 996, while faster, seemed more muted and GT'ish. Of course, the impression was likely accentuated by the fact that the Boxster is a convertible and I had not driven a 996 Cab.

As to styling, as you say 'your choice'. I actually prefer the 986 as IMO the 996, while clean, is perhaps the dullest-looking 911 since the 1960's. The slab sides without the significant flaring for the wheel arches that were used in most later 911's, just don't do it for me, whereas the coke-bottle shape, side air intakes, rear hips and tailights that trace the rear fender form on the 986 do.

Porsche had (and has) it right - they really do appeal to different buyers (or if you can afford multiple Porsche's - different uses by the same buyer).

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote