Thread: Water pump?
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2013, 07:42 PM   #1
ccstud17

Water pump? Updated/resolved... I hope lol

Driving to a beer tasting... .... The Temp light starts to flash, and the temp is betwix the "8 and 0" (real scientific i know...) I semi recently had the 2 front radiators replaced, so i just assumed it was running a bit low on coolant. When i get there (no more than 15 mins of driving) right behind the rear pass wheel, it is a friggen ole faithful of coolant! just gushing it self like no more tomorrow.

I had read the recent slew of threads about water pumps and have been uber paranoid and would always check to see if water was leaking anywhere anytime i drove it.
never saw a drop.
Realizing that this looked like a for sure water pump/broken hose I proceeded to go drink
the next morning, I went back to the car to re asses the situation. It took about 1.5 gallons of distilled water. started up and I drove her home! 100% highway driving with heat on high and lower RPMs being it early in the morn it was a cooler day out, but the temp this time went to normal "early/mid 8" and no flashing light.

I assumed it was due to me trying to keep it as cool as possible...
Got home ordered the Duralast and got her up on the stands.
I dont feel any play in the belt, and underneath the beast all i see is what I imagine is an overflow/ catch can hose right where the geyser occurred???
its the wet hose below

am I missing a catch can? WTF was with the geyser followed by 100% normal performance?
Any thoughts? or a more scientific procedure to test the WP without pulling and looking at the impeller?

edit: no signs of coolant explosion on front of engine. Rad cap is tight and secure....
Thanks all
SC

Last edited by ccstud17; 05-10-2013 at 07:20 AM.
ccstud17 is offline   Reply With Quote