View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013, 06:14 AM   #1
Meat Head

Garage
Why warm your engine before an oil change???

I have never understood the idea of bringing your car to operating temp before draining the oil???

I understand that warm oil will flow easer than cold and the theory is that you will get more of the old oil out of the car.

Everyone knows that a large part of engine wear comes from start up. The reason for this......all of the oil has drained from the engine to the oil pan. You will never have more of the engine oil in the pan than when the car has sat overnight. Why would you want to start the car only to recirculate the old contaminated oil through the engine???

I have a different approach to oil changes (in all my cars). the night before I'm going to change the oil, I park the car in the location that I plan to perform the oil change. The next day, I jack up the car where it sits and drain the oil (never starting it). Let it drain for 30-40min and comeback to fill her up with fresh oil. When I do my oil changes in this manor, it always requires the full amount of oil stated in the manual (oil capacity). I figure that this is a good indication that most of the contaminated oil has been drained from the vehicle.

Does anyone else have a theory about this??? I can't see a reason to bring your car up to temp before an oil change???
Meat Head is offline   Reply With Quote