View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 07:05 PM   #11
darknight

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
Excellence Magazine's technical conributor Tony Callas (who posted in this forum) indicated that you should be at least 1,250 PPM, peferably at 1,350 PPM. I guess Mobil 1 is not in that ballpark. This recommendation was based on their complaint that they are seeing an abundance of valvetrain damage presumably from the bulk of its customers who used the factory fill Mobil1 at those interesting interval recommendations.
As a disclosure, I have not read the article on Tony's oil suggestions. I did find it interesting though when I Googled "Tony Callas oil suggestions," I found his website (Callas Rennsport) and he has a big Mobil 1 graphic under the heading "featured products." Why is this a featured product if this brand leads to an abundance of valve train damage?

The factory oil change interval is probably the bigger factor. I'd like to know how the 1,250-1,350 PPM number was chosen and what the levels are in the Redline and Motul brands, that were suggested earlier.

I guess if the 150-250 PPM shortage of Zn was the sticking point, one could always add ZDDP. Again, it boils down to doing your homework and then making the decision you are comfortable with.
darknight is offline   Reply With Quote