View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 08:21 AM   #5
darknight

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
while you're stirring up the pot....Excellence Magazine's technical contributor recently recommended Motul X100 or a boutique brand like Redline. The higher the ZDDP the better and by what I was reading into their recommendation "mass market" oils spend more on advertising than they do additives. Castrol seem to get only a passing grade where Mobil 1 was a not too subtle D.
I don't usually like making waves, but I will "stir the pot" and call BS.

It is no secret that Porsche made some poor decisions when they designed the water cooled motor resulting in some reliability issues. It is all too easy to prey on this fear, given the potential consequences, blame the oil as a main contributing factor, and suggest an alternative that will prolong the life of the motor, while lining the pockets of the person selling, or suggesting the alternative.

""Mass market" oil spend more on advertising than they do on additives." It is easy to search for and find (http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Files/Mobil_1_Product_Guide.pdf) the Zn and P levels of Mobil 1 0w-40 (1100 PPM Zn, 1000PPM P) but I am having difficulty finding these respective numbers for other brands of oil, including boutique oils such as Motul.

My 1999 Audi A8 (flat-tappet, all-alluminum, 32-valve, V8 engine, that is as hot running as most any modern Porsche motor) has had a steady diet of Mobil 1, does not consume oil between its 7500 mile oil change interval and is just shy of 250,000 miles. I just replaced valve cover gaskets at 248,227 miles and was happy with how clean the top of the heads appear, with the absence of sludge and coking. I also use it in my 2006 Dodge/Mercedes Sprinter turbo diesel, 184,000 miles, at the recommended 10,000 mile intervals. My work truck gets pounded as hard as my Box and the A8 and none of my three rides have ever given me a hint of engine problems.

I'm not trying to start a war here; but I just don't buy into the common hate against Mobil 1. I would like to see actual numbers, such as ZN and P levels, that would suggest that Mobil 1 is inferior to others. Until then, I will keep using the 5-quart Wal Mart specialty.

Attached Images

Last edited by darknight; 05-01-2013 at 08:30 AM.
darknight is offline   Reply With Quote