View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013, 09:41 AM   #19
pothole

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstar View Post
my reference was to the suggestion that the gear ratios in the 2.5 would be ideal with a 2.7, something with which I disagree. The 2.5, with less torque and a narrower torque band than the 2.7, needed lower transmission ratios and more shifting than the 2.7.

I should also point out that there was virtually no weight increase as between the 1999 2.5 and the 2000 2.7 (about 20 lbs as I recall - although as I have the actual published curb weights for both from Porsche somewhere, I will check and report back if significantly higher). The subsequent base models did increase in weight with the addition of the padded top/cupholders etc. in 2001 and more significantly, the extra top bow, glasss rear window and glove box in 2003.

For the 2000 2.7, as I recall Porsche listed a 0-60 MPH time that was .3 seconds quicker than the 2.5 and the following site shows relative performance in both 0 - 60 and 1/4 mile times.

Porsche 0-60 Times & Porsche Quarter Mile Times | Porsche 911 Carrera 0-60, 944 Turbo, GT2, Boxster S, Cayman R, GT3 and Porsche Cayenne 0 to 60 stats!

The 2.5 is an incredible car, make no mistake about it. However, I believe that it is important that we don't try to get into revisionist history. The changes that Porsche made to the displacement, fuel injection and gear ratios in the 2.7 were done in order to improve both performance and flexibility and, in conjunction with the 3.2 'S' that was introduced in the same year, to answer some of the criticisms of the performance of the 2.5.

Brad
Firstly, my point re using the 2.5 gearbox is that I reckon it would allow the advantages of the 2.7 (including higher rev range) to really shine through. One of the reasons for the taller ratios in the 2.7 is better mileage. And I couldn't care less about that. I also don't care whether I lose 5mph at the top. I'm not doing 150mph too often.

Re weight, the book weights only tell half the story. Apparently the early 2.5s are measurably lighter than later 2.5s, and the 2.7s a bit heavier again.

Also bear in mind that Porsche had planned to release more powerful versions of the Boxster earlier, but demand for the 2.5 was massive, so they held out and cashed in. Yes, some mags criticised it for lacking power, but so what?

I've driven pretty much all the 986/987/981 engine options and they're all fantastic. But are the more powerful cars more fun? Not really.

Anyway, the reality is that the performance difference between the 2.5, 2.7 and 2.9 isn't massive. The new 2.7 is a bit of a step up, but even that isn't in a completely different ballpark.