View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013, 09:31 AM   #40
southernstar

Especially from the rear, I just don't get the 1999-2007 MR2 versus 981 comparisons. Yes, both are mid-engined 'spyders' and consequently there are bound to be a number of similarites in terms of overall design and packaging. But the 981 has much more rounded (and to my eye, attractive) lines to the front air intakes, front shape of the hood, headlights, wheel arches, side air intakes and especially, rear fender/tail light forms.

Yes the MR2 weighs much less, but it is also a smaller car both in real-lfe appearance and in dimensions. For example, the MR2 has a width of 66.7 versus 70.1 inches (which carries over into interior width/elbow room/increased comfort as well as better handling). The length of the MR2 is 153 versus 171 inches and this contributes again to greater interior room, but also greater trunk space. Finally, the Toyota had a buzzy 1.8 L4 while the 981 has a 2.7 H6 (with not only better acceleration and top speed, but much less vibration and much more glorious exhaust notes).

Frankly, I thought the previous iteration of the MR2 was much more attractive than the final one which, to my eyes, looked small and boxy. Regardless, I am pretty confident that no one is going to confuse the MR2 with the 981 up close.

Brad

Last edited by southernstar; 04-29-2013 at 09:32 AM. Reason: sp
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote