View Single Post
Old 04-28-2013, 12:54 AM   #1
sam c.

Power windows (again)

I can honestly say that I've never seen a car that is such joke of electrical engineering that it will decide whether or not the windows will function on literally a case by case bases.

I parked the car a couple nights ago with no issues and came back the next morning to discover that the windows suddenly no longer function.

The left side window is in the down position and wont move. The right is up and won't respond to the switch or the movement of the top, but will drop when the door is opened.

Ideas?

I have yet to pull the driverside seat (again) to check for corrosion on the 15 amp fuse on the box under the seat. When the car suddenly started doing this a few weeks ago, that seemed to solve it. The fuse looked perfect but everything suddenly worked after removing, greasing, and reinstalling that fuse. Does anyone have any suggestions what's going on here?

As an alternative solution, has anyone bypassed the ridiculous Porsche system and just made the windows "dumb?" In other words, I'm exhausted with the windows. Exhausted thinking about them, messing with them, taking the doors apart, and even just plain wondering if they're going to work when I press the switch. Its gotten to the point that I experience a mix of pleasant surprise and relief when the windows decide to work. What I'd like to do is just run power effectively from the hot side of the battery thru the switch to the motor (via relays, fuses, etc). I wont even use Porsche's obviously possessed wiring. Uplug the stock harness and just leave it in the door and run an entirely new and simple system in its place. The window equivalent to what some have done with their tops (which was obviously designed by the same Porsche intern that did the windows).

Does anyone see any glaring issues with this?

Thanks guys,
Sam
sam c. is offline   Reply With Quote