View Single Post
Old 04-27-2013, 04:45 PM   #1
jnicholson30

Video - Help! Is this IMS? What's up with this engine?

Here's a video of a 2000 Boxster S. I drove 300 miles to buy it and am now sleeping on it tonight while I try to figure out what this issue is before I fear I must reluctantly walk away. The car is absolutely beautiful with all the right features and options and then some. It was also JUST inspected for PPI but a Porsche dealer locally and passed except for the MAF which was fixed.

BUT, I get here and there's something up with the engine. Here's what's up:

1. When idling the engine RPMs bounce up and down between 500 RPM and 750 RPM. There is a also a bit of a rattle of sorts at this low RPM range. However, engine sounds runs great when 1000 RPM and up. Here's the kicker - the Porsche dealer JUST replaced the MAF this past week as we flagged this issue over the web and they claimed this would solve it. Clearly that was not the full issue.

> The video here shows me idling it at 1000-20000 without any issue and then letting go of the pedal to let the idle take over --> Boxster S idle issue - YouTube

> This video shows the engine sound close up. To be fair, it didn't sound as bad as the video when in person but here it is --> Boxster s idle sound - YouTube

2. Also up around 6000 RPM the engine seems to lose juice. The RPMs remain constant but there is a noticeable dip/ceiling in power.

I have no problem negotiating the price down if it is just a $1000-3000 fix. But if it could be a BIG (i.e. IMS style) issue then that would of course be a deal breaker.

This is now the 3rd Boxster that I've inspected and the 3rd straight with an issue. I'm dying to get into my new Porsche! Any thoughts so to what this might be would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Jeff
jnicholson30 is offline   Reply With Quote