View Single Post
Old 04-27-2013, 09:38 AM   #1
986_inquiry
2006 987

Garage
987 2.7 vs 986 2.5 review

Here's my preliminary review between the two, I'll update this with more info.

2006 987 2.7 5-speed vs 1998 986 2.5 5-speed review

1) ACCELERATION: 1st and 2nd feel similar, but 986 2.5 pulls harder in 3rd and 4th than 987 2.7, wouldn't be surprised if 986 2.5 has better quarter in real life. I test drove several 2000-2004 2.7 and they also felt slower in 3rd and 4th

2) MPG: Not that it matters but.... it's about the same with everyday city/highway driving (saint louis), even though the 987 2.7 has a trip computer I've been watching religiously and the 986 2.5 didn't. If I'm really good I think I can get another 1 or 2mpg from it, so maybe 5-10% better mpg than 986

3) STEREO: OMFG THE 987 STEREO IS AMAZING! HUGE improvement. Finally there's some bass, sounds great, the buttons are easier to select, looks modern, etc etc etc. But screen is harder to read in sunlight with top down. I have the base model stereo, whatever that is, I'll check later. I see no reason to replace this stereo, but I do plan on purchasing a FM inline modulator so I can connect a ipod when I finally run out of these old CD-Rs

4) AC/HEATING: NO climate control! Yeah I know, I was shocked and greatly disappointed, just has up and down for heat/cooling and fan. HOWEVER I now have heated seats which are wonderful, top down in 40 degree weather no problem with heated seats

5) HANDLING: seems the same to me, however the 2006 987 comes with Porsche Stability Management as standard equipment. It's amazing in the rain, no matter how bad the roads are or how fast you're going PSM keeps you straight on the road. Those giant puddles on the highway that use to scary me in the 986 are no longer a threat!

6) EXTERIOR: love the headlights, looks much bigger than 986, more modern styling too, and since 981 sales started Summer 2012 (less than a year ago) the 987 still appears to be the newest model to most people.

7) INTERIOR: feels bigger, like in the 986 I would usually rest my left arm over the door with the windows down, but with the 987 it feels like a bit of a stretch, arm can be left on door armrest.

8) IMS: Anyone doing any research on Porsche has heard of IMS failures that total the engine. According to what I've read 2006+ Porsches receive a upgraded IMS, essentially the same IMS Retrofit that LN Engineering sells. I contacted http://www.flat6innovations.com/ before purchasing a 2006 and they said I should be fine. I've also brought the vehicle to Reid Vann and they said it looks good, but I still plan on having the IMS Guardian installed next oil change.

9) CONVERTIBLE TOP: Seems similar to the 986, but it now works at speeds up to ~30mph. It's great having that, especially when it's about to rain

10) TRANSMISSION: The 987 comes standard with a factory short shifter. It will take some getting use to if you are moving from a 986 since the stick just barely has to move to get into the next gear

11) BRAKING: The 987 comes standard with cross-drill vented rotors, and the PSM system on the 2006 987 "precharges" the brakes to achieve better braking

12) AVAILABLE MODS: TPC racing offers a bolt-on turbo kit for the 987, adding ~100whp for $7,500. They offer it for the 2000+ 986 now too but it requires 987 headers and they recommend 987 throttle body.

13) OTHER: The 2005+ 987 has no oil dipstick. From the press release: "Boxster engines feature integrated dry-sump lubrication with two reflow pumps drawing oil from the cylinder heads and with a separate pump supplying oil to engine lubrication points. This setup assures optimum oil supply even under the extreme dynamic conditions of high lateral acceleration. The system also is so precise in monitoring oil that the engines need no dipstick; the electronic monitor measures the oil level and displays the result on the instrument cluster."

More info from press releases:
http://press.porsche.com/archive/products/models/models_2005/boxster.html
http://press.porsche.com/archive/products/models/models_2006/boxster.html

this isn't mine but here's what the interior looks like:

VERDICT:
Should you replace your 986: No, I wouldn't, if it's running fine and doesn't need major repairs I would keep the 986.
New Porsche, buy a 986 or 987: depends on what's important. If you just want pure acceleration and a Porsche, 986 is fine considering they're currently less than half the cost of a 987. If you want more modern styling, engine, PSM, better brakes, better IMS bearing, etc, then 987 is the way to go.

Last edited by 986_inquiry; 05-06-2013 at 06:25 AM.
986_inquiry is offline   Reply With Quote