Thread: Show or Go?
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2013, 05:53 AM   #20
Mark_T

First off, I totally get where you're coming from. What other cars I could have bought with the money I've spent on my 99 986 is irrelevant. I don't want those other cars - I want this one. And I don't have to have an explainable reason for that - it's just the way I feel and I don't have to justify that to anyone other than myself. Good for you for being up front about that rather than throwing out some lame reasoning to appease the peeps that don't get it.

That said, I don't think that mechanical and cosmetic considerations have to be mutually exclusive. The approach I have taken was to first get the car mechanically sound. In other words, no mods, but make sure the scheduled maintenance is up to date and that anything past its service life gets replaced. Then I went after the cosmetic issues that made the car look scabby - the worn top with the cracked plastic window, the cracked leather seats, cloudy headlights, body damage, that kind of thing. Now at this point I have a good platform to move forward with mods and upgrades. The car is sound and looks nice and I can proceed with my non-essential work at my own pace and in the order that most appeals to me.