View Single Post
Old 04-24-2013, 08:46 PM   #1
AKnowles

Example of how a water pump failed

I've seen a few postings now and then on what to look for in regard to a failing water pump and thought I'd share my experiance.

My first indication was driving in town about a month or two after I bought the car and noticing the temperature was on the back of the 0 in the 180 instead of the back of the 8 of the 180 on the termerature dial.

My second indication was a slight smell of hot antifreeze and the need to top off the coolant tank. Only took a couple of cups and after a few more weeks a couple more. After that it held steady for several months.

My third indication was the slight smell of coolant when I got out of my car yesterday evening and the indication of a slight liquid trail in front of my garage. I checked the fluid and it had no smell so I assumed it was the AC. Might have been too since there was no smell or color to it when I put my finger on it, but thought I would mention it anyway. Maybe I should have tested it tiwh a paper towel to see if it indicated any color.

My forth indication was starting the car the next day. I heard a slight squeal (bearing maybe) that I thought might just be the secondary air pump as it stopped after a 10 - 20 seconds. I'd never heard it before on a startup, so should have paid more attention to it.

My fifth indication a puff of white vapor from the passenger side vent at a stop sign.

My sixth indication was the blinking red light on my temperature gauge indicating low coolant.

My seventh indication was when I stopped and looked at the trail behind my car and the slow puddle appearing under it.

In between the fifth and sixth points my temperature guage was just after the 0 in the 180 mark and at this point I put on the heater. The temp went up past the 0 by about 4 or 5 needle widths then backed on back down to the 0 on the 180 mark. At no point did my car reach the maximum temperature or the red light go on solid.

I had my car towed to my house on a flatbed (thanks AAA) at no cost. Ordered the replacement pump and cap from Suncoast and some replacement spark plug tubes and spark plugs from Pelican Parts (I decided afterwards that I might as well replace them since I was going to be there anyway). This weekend is the weekend to fix it.

Last edited by AKnowles; 04-25-2013 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Forgot a sign ...
AKnowles is offline   Reply With Quote