View Single Post
Old 04-24-2013, 12:57 PM   #13
CA_Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburglar View Post
I would like to spend like $12k at most but would prefer the $10k number. I would love a 2000 Boxster S with higher mileage, but what are my chances of finding one under $12k?

I'm also pretty confused by prices. How could a 1999 with 115k miles be on sale for $8k from a dealer but some private sellers are asking $12k or more for the same car. It seems like a lot of the prices are far below the KBB estimated value.
Similar to the response from a previous poster, I'd say there's a mix of reasons for the prices you'll see on cars. People on this board will know one generation Boxster from another because we drive them, but the general public sees expensive Porsches that all look cool and the styling tends to age well since they evolve rather than make a lot of drastic changes over time. People always made an assumption that I spent a lot of money on my car because they think that about Porsches, but I bought mine used for a deal just like many others do. I just ended up keeping it a long time because I like it so much. Therefore used Boxsters get purchased at all kinds of price points and that makes honing in on a price tough. When I sold my 2000 it was in great condition and I priced it below most of what I saw around me but still ended up having to cut a deal in the end. I knew it was a LOT of car for $10k but people shopping for Boxsters just saw a 13 year old car with lots of others like it for sale.

So I'd say pick a warm weather city in CA and do a search on a site like cars.com in a 100 mile radius and you'll see some funny prices but in general you'll get a feel for the trend. Now that I've owned base and "S" Porsches my opinion has changed a little and I'll say an S adds the extra kick that makes it better, but if I were shopping with your criteria I'd be looking for the newest Boxster I could find in the best condition first, then see if an "s" falls in that pool for you. Boxsters are reliable and it's not like you need to have a tow on speed dial, but things deteriorate with age and use so push that expiration date back as far as possible for yourself. You should be able to get a 2000-2002 with mileage in the 70-90k range at that price, maybe better if you have time to wait and jump on a deal when you see it. Shopping locally in Michigan will make it tough, though. There can't be that many around you.
CA_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote