View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 07:56 PM   #10
Skrapmot

I see a lot of young 20 somethingers buying the Boxster as the price has really come down to an affordable level, but that doesn't mean they are in way affordable compared to the average 10k car as far as maintenance..
If you got a great job and this is a second car or you can afford to pay for the occasional big buck service or pride yourself as a budding Porsche mechanic, then great idea.
If you were like me at early 20's working for peanuts , and needing an inexpensive car for college and work, then not such a good idea. That first big dollar repair eventually happens, and you need to have some financhial runway available.
I remember when I was in my late 20's, out of college, and got a used BMW having been driving a cheapo Mitsubishi for the last 4 years, with hardly more expense than oil changes. I had it only a couple weeks, and was hit with a catastrophic timing belt failure and $2500 repair.
Another example, my wife's Miata engine seized due to a failed water pump , and we were able to find a used 30k motor installed for $1200.
I would think you would be lucky to get a Boxster motor for less than $4500 plus install.
Skrapmot is offline   Reply With Quote