View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 04:39 PM   #9
V-Rod
Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburglar View Post
I would like to spend like $12k at most but would prefer the $10k number. I would love a 2000 Boxster S with higher mileage, but what are my chances of finding one under $12k?

I'm also pretty confused by prices. How could a 1999 with 115k miles be on sale for $8k from a dealer but some private sellers are asking $12k or more for the same car. It seems like a lot of the prices are far below the KBB estimated value.
Hamburgler,

I am repeating what many threads will confirm, but here is my take.

I purchased a 99 base model after reading here and other forums. For me it was price as well as overall condition and history. My thinking was that after a couple of years (97 & 98) they made some significant chassis and engine improvements and the price for a 99 pre-owned boxster was at a sweet spot. 99 and early 2000's had a double row ims bearing and was a superior design as the recent class action lawsuit pointed out. So if you find a good one of these models that has a really good clutch then you should be good to go with regular maintenance for quite some time. If you buy one with a single row bearing, you will be paranoid at every little noise and will be afraid of revs and that is no way to enjoy the boxster experience. The time to do the ims upgrade is the time you do the clutch. So if you purchase a non dual row bearing model then plan on spending a couple of thousand dollars for peace of mind. Or find one with dual row design and a good clutch and enjoy it until it needs a clutch. Even then if you do not want to spend the extra money on an ims you have a less than 1% chance of having a problem. Not bad odds.

One good drive in one with someone that knows how to drive them and you will clearly understand that you do not want to drive them easy. Like they say "drive it like you stole it" why? Because it is just too much fun....
2008 Land Rover LR3 Alaska White/Alpaca
2012 Honda Odyssey Touring Dk Grey/Lt Grey
V-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote