View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 09:37 AM   #26
southernstar

Coffinhunter, I also think that the 986 is a more original and cohesive design, although I believe that the 981 is a much more modern design (as expected), and one that is very attractive in its own right. The 986 makes consistent use of 'modifed C', or 'half-oval' shapes throughout the design. From the front:
- the shape of the front air intakes
- the profile of the side mirrors
- the shape of the instrument cover (and the opening)
- the shape of the headrests
- the shape of the roll bars
- even the shape of the much maligned 'fried egg', lower amber portion of the headlights.
From the side:
- the overall body shape - sloping down front and rear
- the shape of the side windows
- the shape of the top
- the shape of the side air intakes
- in the optional 17 inch Boxster design wheels, in the slots between the spokes
- the shape of the front side-marker light
- the side profile of the tailights
- the shape of the door handles
From the rear:
- the shape of the rear bumperettes
- the shape of the rear central deck light
- the shape of the tailights.
- in the base Boxster, the shape of exhaust tip

These same shapes are also carried into the interior. Simply put, rather than being a mix of angular and rounded shapes, the design elements remain balanced, consistent and cohesive throughout. It also carries a strong family resemblance to the first mid-engined Porsche (apart from the prototype 356), the famous 550 Spyder. This is something that became less pronounced in the 987 and which is virtually absent from the 981. While others have already pointed out the similarity of the 981 to some other mid-engined sports car designs, one cannot confuse the 986 with any other car. Dated or not, it is immediately recognizable as a Porsche and no other car. And to me, that is no bad thing!

However, as to which car looks more aggressive (some would say masculine)? I would say the 981. Which looks faster when it is standing still? The 981. Which looks state of the art in 2013? The 981. In sum, the 981 is an attracitve, aggressive-looking, state of the art design for a mid-engined sports car.
A job well-done. But the 986 is also an attractive, balanced and original design - and one with historical elements that are uniquely Porsche.

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote