View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 04:14 AM   #22
southernstar

How I learned to love the 981!

Last night a 26 year old friend of my son was at our house, saw my 986 Boxster in the driveway and exclaimed, "Wow, that's one of the original Boxsters, isn't it?" Well, yes. "How old is it?" She'll be 14 years old in August. "Looks incredible!" Well, that's it then. I don't have to care if the 981 has better acceleration, a higher top speed, better handling, braking and ergonomics, because mine is a classic!

I know, in most States in the US a car has to be 20 years old to get a classic car registration and plates (although the first Boxsters will be getting there in only three years), but still... As I see it, when the 987 came out, the 986 was relegated to being nothing more than a used Porsche - the previous model. Now that the 981 has arrived, the 986 Boxster has become not simply a used car, but the 'original' Boxster. The one that started the line - and unlike the 914, 924, 944 and 928, I say line as I fully expect the Porsche 'Boxster', like the 911, to carry on for a very long time. So in a sense, the introduction of the 981 and its more modern (if less unique) design has allowed us to move past the used car label, into the classic car one. And for that, I have learned to love the 981 and its electronic power steering, electronic emergency brake activation, optional vector control, non-unique styling, etc., etc.

Brad

Last edited by southernstar; 04-23-2013 at 04:15 AM. Reason: sp
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote