View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013, 07:38 AM   #9
southernstar

Pothole, I have little doubt that dynax is a decent product - if you are covering corrosion free surfaces. In fact, Porsche, BMW and VW all coat their underbodies and susceptible cavites with a wax that does not interfere with the galvanizing and which I suspect is a similar product. The problem with applying it now is that, if there is already some internal corrosion, the wax will only seal it in temporarily. The additional problem is that when you drill holes in order to spray in the dynax, you will remove the galvanizing from the hole and, as these holes are often on the top of the panel, it is very difficult to ensure a good coating on the inside. Finally, the plastic plugs for the holes also tend to hold moisture in against the metal where they are installed.

Simply because a Porsche 944 has badly rusted rocker panels/door sills, does not mean that the the Boxster will suffer the same fate. Yes, both cars are galvanized; however, the 944 must have had inadequate drainage at the bottom of the sills; indeed, it is even possible that an aftermarket coating filled the holes and allowed water to accumulate. There could also have been body damage there which was poorly repaired at some point (and if you have a damaged panel, the inside does need to be recoated). Simply put, we do not know thehistory of the car.

In any event, I live in an area where the roads are salted heavily over the winter and I have yet to see a rusted Boxster. Trust me, salt is much worse than water alone in terms of causing corrosion (and for that reason, I do not drive my car in the winter). Nevertheless, even Boxsters that have been driven over the winter here are rust free.

While Porsche's were notoriously susceptible to rust through the mid-1970's, they are now one of the best marques in that regard. I fear that by drilling holes and spraying in dynax that you may be making things worse, rather than better.

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote