View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013, 11:49 PM   #13
rah rah 986
1998 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodabear View Post
I would send your stock units to Bilstein USA for rebuild. much cheaper than new units and they will revalve them for you if you want for a reasonable fee.
I inquired last week about rebuilding my struts. Bilstein told me that some struts are not serviceable. If the top cap is crimped, it is not rebuildable. If the rod is 22mm as opposed to 40mm., it is not rebuildable. Beyond that, it is dependent on a case by case basis. The Bilstein rep referenced the numbers that I provided from the stamping on the strut itself, and concurred that my struts are not rebuildable. And yes, the top cap is crimped. And yes, the rod is 22mm. Too bad, because a rebuild really is a great, economical choice when possible. Especially when all other options cost AT LEAST $200 per corner. Having researched my replacement options, it amazes me at the lack of aftermarket options. If you exclude coil overs of which there are several manufacturers, I have not found even one replacement option other than Bilstein for regular struts. This car is fifteen years old. How is it that other manufacturers haven't joined in with an aftermarket strut? Bilstein is the OE manufacturer, and is the only aftermarket provider.
rah rah 986 is offline   Reply With Quote