View Single Post
Old 04-17-2013, 07:44 AM   #174
jacabean

look into making a mold of your air box out sheet foam and clay . then you can make a mold out of that . epoxy resin and glass mat would be a good choice of materials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeboy981 View Post
TRK,
4" is VERY TIGHT! In fact, I hate taking it apart because my hands get mangled! I have not resorted to removing the insulation. However, the insulation does deform a little where the intake resides against it.

One of our members has a design that "turns" into the hole in the side of our car....but he said it came at a cost. He had to 'hollow out' part of the passenger area and the noise came in too. Besides, making that 90 degree turn would certainly cause more air turbulence and reduce the overall airflow somewhat...but it would be a 100% Cold Air Intake.

I thought of Lexan too, but the engines temps preclude me from using it. It is just too hot in the engine compartment. I have a bunch of Lexan, plex, etc. laying around from designing Hydrogen units but the temps would be too high for that application. Nothing would be worse than running a day at the track and finding a melted mess of plastic in the engine bay!

Also, I am trying to select a material that can be molded or can be used without square edges - so as not to disrupt the airflow coming in. I have a metal "square box" but am just not happy with how it is finished out....but I guess it IS BETTER than nothing! Especially, based on your calculations, that I am Losing HP running warmer air.

Where did that Cold Air Filter box come from? Was it customer-made? Out of what?
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote