View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013, 10:21 AM   #10
srad34

Garage
An update....

So I managed to locate the timing plate that bolts on the end of the early 986 camshaft, from the USA, this took 10 days first class thanks to good old UK customs!

Armed with the new pump, plate I got cracking. ....

First job: Remove the cam cover on bank one to find the head from the bolt that broke my pump. Its odd as the bolt pitch/size of it is smaller than the ones used on the cam cover and timing chain mounts so with everything re-torqued, I moved to the sump; No debris found at all, filter clean (last oil change was 3k previously). Nothing else appeared loose of missing so resealed and refitted.

Second job: With the green cam plugs removed when I took off the cam cover, I wanted to check the timing too as it could have slipped fractionally due to the pump snapping. Its a pretty easy DIY job tbh,. Mine was slightly out so adjusted and checked bank 2 was still good - it was! Note: always use new green cam plugs - £6.00 form Porsche, often held on stock too.

I Removed and inspected the second pump too, fortunately all was in good order.

Third job: Completed a compression test on all cylinders to ensure no valve damage and while all plugs/coil-packs were out, it made sense. Again consistent values so happy days. Refit AOS, catch tank, air intake and lower cross member (moved back to ease access rear pump housing) etc

Fourth job: Temporarily refill engine with used/filtered oil to start, ensure timing is good and it doesn't leak oil. All appears good, so dropped the oil after cooling, replaced filter and filled with fully synth 5w40. Test drove it for 15 miles with no engine cover of cabin engine cover to ensure no leaks, bloody noisy, but better than having to strip everything off again!

The result is that no oil blew into the catch tank, ran smoother and no (touch wood) leaks noted. Result and happy wife.

Conclusion: Unable to identify the source of the bolt, I can't rule out that it has not previously been removed during oil & filter changes as I have not previously filtered the old oil. Other than stripping the engine, not sure if I will ever find the sourcce.

My learning is that If you have a repeat issue in a short space of time, such as AOS failing, its worth taking a look deeper into the engine as something else could be the route cause of the issue.

The key thing is that its running really smooth now and I know a lot more about the insides of my Porsche just that little bit better now.....