Thread: clutch problem
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2006, 10:33 PM   #1
ephidaboost

Unhappy clutch problem

Hi everyone, just bought a blue '01 boxster (black interior, litronics, beige top) w 22k miles last friday, and have been loving it so far. The car is in great condition, single owner and well taken care of... but something happened on the first day of driving it that bothered me...

I had been driving the car hard all day, still getting used to the clutch (I came from an automatic, so I had to brush up on clutch action a little) and was stopped in the middle turn lane waiting for traffic about to do a u-turn. After the cars had passed, I attempted a launch but stalled out (My wheels were full left, which caused more resistance than normal on the launch). So I re- started the car, and in order to get out of the way of oncoming traffic, brought the engine up to about 2k and dropped the clutch. Well, what I WANTED was for the back tires to give me a firm chirp, swing the car around and finish the u turn. What happened was that the clutch stuck, and only came up about 25% of the way off the floor.... I stomped on it a few times trying to free it up, but it just wouldnt lift up all the way. I was able to get going about 10 mph by blipping the throttle to get out of traffic (frying the clutch the whole time...) and into the right hand lane. Once I was out of danger, I took my foot completely off the gas, put it in neutral, and just floated down the road at like 5 mph with the clutch still stuck. after about 10 seconds the clutch just popped up by itself, and started working again like normal.

My first thoughts were that it was because I dumped the clutch about a second after the car was started... or maybe Im thinking that just because subconsciously I dont want to have to spring for a new clutch only week after owning this car Any ideas?