View Single Post
Old 04-14-2013, 07:47 AM   #3
Deserion
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skootnasty View Post
It isn't supposed to stay on, with out cranking the engine. It's in case of a wreck and the engine stalls, you don't want the pump to pump gas out until the battery goes dead, or the whole scene explodes into a giant inferno.
I'm aware of this. I stated it didn't stay on as to point out the pump came on to pressurize when the car was turned on (not started), and did not continue to run as to burn itself out with the car being un-started/turned off.

Quote:
Now in order to burn up a pump, taking you for your word that this is happening, it would have to draw too many Amps. And with out blowing a fuse (not easy). This pretty much rules out any type of short in B+ between pump and fuse. Now this leaves the ground circuit. If the ground circuit is corroded/breaking down, then this could result in a very hot ciruit inside the pump motor. The "easiest" way to check it would be to voltage drop from the grounding point to B-. You should get no more than .2V. If it is higher, like .6. or worse yet something 1V+, then your ground wire is bad and requires repair/replacement.
We took apart the original pump and it's quite seized. No idea on pump #2 as that was exchanged under warranty for #3. No fuses have blown (have been checking). Will check the voltage readings soon, thanks.

Quote:
Not knowing you exact year, I would voltage drop Ground Point 3 on the left support frame, then go from there.

Skoot
See sig, 2004.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote