View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013, 12:08 PM   #18
southernstar

Not sure what that has to do with this thread but yes, that was it. Insofar as prototypes go, it really wasn't that far removed from the eventual 986 Boxster - keeping in mind that the prototype didn't have a top (as I recall, the wrap-down metal lid in front of the rear trunk was for engine access). Yes, they changed the tailights, moved the air intakes up higher (where no doubt they will draw less water in bad conditions) and simplified the grill from the prototypes rather gaudy one. But otherwise pretty close, actually.

I must say that I disagree with the suggestion that the prototype would probably still be in production. Obviously the 550 Spyder retro look lost its appeal to many and while reviewers originally raved about the styling of the 986, in many of the recent reviews of the new 981 Boxster writers have been rather critical of look of the first Boxster. Personally, I still love the Porsche tradition behind the 986 and find it to be appealingly different than any other mid-engine sports car. While some have attacked it for being 'feminine' looking (and the Jag XKE and Ferrari Dino were not?), I love the overall balance of the design, its influences (the 550 Spyder) and the consistent use of modified 'C' shapes throughout the interior and exterior of the car: the grill shapes, the headlight and tail light shapes, the mirror shape, the door handle shape, the side window shape, side prohfile roof shape, the side intake shape, the rear center light shape, the exhaust tip shape (on the base model), the roll bar shape, the door handle shape, the shape of the top of the seats and the instrument cover. Unlike so many automotive designs that appear inconsistent, if not incoherent with respect to form, the original 986 Boxster is consistent, coherent and unified IMO. Still, the public has spoken and they prefer the more generic but 'masculine' look of the new 981 (which by the way, I also consider to be very attractive).
It will be interesting to see where Porsche goes with the design of the Baby Boxster, but I am pretty confident that it will not have a retro look!

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote