View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #9
Overdrive
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Correct me if in wrong, but isn't the purpose of the "snorkel" to draw cooler outside air into the intake for combustion?
Wouldn't "de-snorkeling" mean that the engine is now drawing hot air from the engine bay?...
I'm going to say no, because that area I have pictured is sealed off from the engine bay as I understand it (there's still plumbing past the snorkel that leads to the airbox), so other than what the surrounding plastic/rubber there allows through for heat, I don't see the snorkel doing much to keep the air cool. It really just deadens some sound and forces the air to come through its smaller, tapered opening before getting to the plumbing for the airbox. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I take away from what I've seen and how the setup has been explained to me. It was not done for performance reasons, at least not to improve performance.

And it's interesting to hear that you've got the same thing. I wonder why some folks have it and others don't? Maybe it was a 97-99 era thing, but then Skrapmot points out that his 98 didn't have it.

And Skrapmot, this is a US car, a 1997 built in summer of 97. Started life out in New Hampshire, currently in CT.

Paintboy, if you look in my pictures you'll see an oval shape tube in the background. That's the "snorkel" as it's been dubbed by the community. It's really nothing more than an air-restricting and sound deadening tube for the intake (driver's side) of the car. If you search the forum you'll find other threads with pictures. Pelican Parts also probably has some pictures in one of their tech articles of the same spot I'm showing in my car with the snorkel exposed and being removed, with no large plastic blocking the way like mine has, but theirs is also a younger car with the 2.7.

As a side note, holy crap that vent area is filthy!!! My hands came away charcoal black by the time I finally got the vent off of the car, and that was from touching mostly painted surfaces. An air filter never seemed so important to me.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top

Last edited by Overdrive; 04-12-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote