View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013, 09:19 AM   #7
Troutman

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstar View Post
I guess the question is whether you want to spend that much money for a spare engine as insurance! How long do you plan on keeping the car and what is your current mileage? The 2003 has some internal (and fuel injection?) changes to up the HP and torque, but I suspect it will fit. Whether the electronics (and connectors) are exactly the same, is another matter.

In addition, at 60,000 miles the engine is apt to have the same potential issues with respect to the water pump, air/oil separator etc. as your current engine. Furthermore, the IMS bearing will be a single-row, whereas your early 2.7 (1999 build) may have the much more reliable double-row bearing. You will need to check the engine serial number to make sure, but really, wouldn't you be better off saving the money and dealing with the issues that may arise?

Brad
Fair point, it just seems a good price for a low mileage engine, (it's not unusual here). I was thinking of all the connections, wires/pipes etc, as that could be too much hassle if they were not the same, then there is the ECU, which one to use.
I might go and have a look at it (the car) and make a decision. Would be a good thing to do in the evenings, clean it up and replace a few of those dodgy parts.
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote