View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 11:42 AM   #17
seningen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
If the IMS to crank chain wore thru the wear pad of the aluminum tensioning paddle shown on the right side in this pic of a 2000 Box engine crank housing, it will make shavings like that until it breaks in half. If you remove the chain tensioner right beside the oil filter you can get a peak at the paddle & Maybe see if it is damaged. The chain & wear pad are on the backside, so it could be excessively worn, & you can't see it thru the hole. When you remove the oil sump plate you will probably see more shavings there.

This is what I was referring to.

You can fit a boroscope through the hole and inspect it as well. We did this once --
found one of the chains (of two) had broken. We saved the engine - but it still had to be torn down and put back together with a new paddle and chain assembly.
The chain broke because it was wearing a groove in the paddle.

That's a lot of shavings -- and my gut says that you would be down to some material
in the bearings that was ferrous (isn't there copper in most bearings -- I know there is on the 944)

Mike
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote