View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 04:37 AM   #13
southernstar

No real styling changes until 2003 and apart from the padded top and arguably the new steering wheel, many consider the other detail changes in MY 2001 to be negative rather than positive. The most significant upgrades over MY 1997 - 1999: the engine (2.7 versus 2.5), gear ratios, fly by wire throttle and brushed aluminum interior trim all came in the 2000 model year.

What is not a matter of opinion, however, is that the mid 2000 MY change to a single row IMS bearing was a disaster (as even Porsche is about to acknowledge if the settlement goes through). Indeed, the dramatically higher failure rate of the single-row bearings as opposed to the earlier double row bearings was the principle evidence in favour of the plaintiffs.

Not saying that the 2001's aren't great cars. Lets face it, the IMS failure rate is only 8-10% so it is highly likely that you will not suffer a failure. Of course, if you do, the value of the car will drop to about 2-3 K as a roller! Yes, you can replace the single row factory bearing with a single row ceramic bearing (or one with a stronger center cap bolt from Pelican), but you are still stuck with a single row bearing.

If you have a double-row bearing, you can essentially ignore the worry (significantly less than 1% failure rate), especially if you change the oil at shorter intervals and install a magnetic drain plug. If and when you need a new clutch, as the labour costs are very little more, you can then choose to replace the IMS bearing. A word of caution here: the allegedly upgraded Pelican bearing for the earlier double-rows is actually a downgrade to a single row with a spacer!

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote