View Single Post
Old 04-06-2013, 12:12 PM   #6
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
When I took it back to the shop I had them bleed the system, install a new slave and check the return spring on the pedal. No change.

JFP. they installed an aluminum flywheel, a Sachs pressure plate and a Kevlar reinforced, 4 spring disc, all of which were part of a recommended kit from Clutchmasters in California that I bought because I was planning on turboing the car in the future(not anymore). And yes! there was 2 loose bolts on the pressure plate.
Now I don't know what NEEDS to be replaced. the kit cost $2084 and included a release bearing.
OK, as I have not used this setup (do not like the single mass flywheel and the problems it causes), so I am not familiar with how thick the disc is, etc. As Sachs is the OEM pressure plate, that would not seem to be an issue without seeing the unit.

I would suggest comparing your disc with an OEM unit for thickness (if the disc is too thick, it forces the diaphragm fingers inwards when fully engaged, which can cause them to go over center when depressed). I would also be looking at the throw out bearing, and trying to find out why it fell out when you removed the trans (should not have happened). I would also have to comment that NONE of the pressure plate bolts should have been loose, if the pressure plate comes loose and backs away from the flywheel even slightly, the clutch can be pushed over center very easily. At a minimum, I would get all new pressure plate bolts, Loctite them and torque them to the correct specs (never reused these bolts or the flywheel bolts).