Thread: Carbras.
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2006, 10:08 AM   #8
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzi
As you can see from the picture above, I use the conventional bra or mask as well.
I have been very satisfied with it in terms of protecting the paint, etc.

The only issue I have is that if you drive the car in the wet (seldom, in my case) you have to take the bra off and dry the car and the inside of the bra before replacing it. According to the instructions packed with the bra, allowing water to dry underneath the bra can cause dulling of the paint.

Another point is that little bits of road grit can lodge in the edge of the bra where it crosses the hood, and also in the fabric on the underside. Whenever I remove the bra I vacuum the inside to get this stuff out.

I'm not a big fan of the clear bras for the reasons mentioned by mnboxster, plus I have been told by an installer that the clear bras yellow over time and must be replaced.

I think the total cost of the bra and the two mirror muffs from a Porsche dealer was about $150, which I think is a lot less that having the clear film put on.

On the other hand, if you are going to track (driver's ed, autocrosses, etc.) you may have no choice but to use a clear bra, as PCA for example will not let you run with a conventional bra on the car.
Hi,

I agree with what you say. Unfortunately, there is no solution to the Water issue. Also, even though the OEM Bra is Felt lined, it is mildly abrasive and over time, if left on, will leave a fine line. This can be avoided by putting a good layer of Wax on the Hood so the Wax, not the Paint takes the abuse.

I quite like the look of the Bra on the Car, though admit this is a matter of personal preference.

So far as Tracking the Car, if you're not Racing (such as Timed Runs, Auto-X, etc.) , there's no Traffic ahead of you anyway making the issue with Chips somewhat Moot. Add to that that anytime you Track a Car, you invariably are subjecting it to extreme use and there is always a consequence to this.

Touching Up Stone Chips isn't really that hard and you can make the repairs invisible withh a little Practice. I Touched-Up over 20 small chips on my Boxster this Spring and at a show had several people say that they couldn't believe the original condition of the paint, that there were no chips whatever, one even asked if it was an '04 or '05 - he couldn't believe it when I said it was a '99... if they only knew...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote