View Single Post
Old 04-05-2013, 02:32 PM   #4
welles

Just to establish my perspective, I've driven any number of 986 and 987 examples, both base and S, and own a base '04. I recently drove a base 981.

As you would expect, the 981 continues the progression of the Boxster series in being more refined (quieter, smoother ride, fewer creaks/rattles/etc.) than the 987, which in turn was a similar step up from the 986. That said, the 981 also has electric power steering, which removes ALL the feel. In addition, the shifter sits on a Carrera GT style center console, putting it up at a rally car-like height. The latter change is an annoyance I could live with/get used to, but the former is a deal breaker - steering feel is such an important part of what the Boxster is about that taking it away makes it, in my view, into a GT car rather than a sports car.

For me, the base 987 represents the best balance of refinement, control effort, power, and road feel, and that will likely be my next car. The 981 leaves me cold - it's certainly not a bad car, but it's no longer a pure sports car.
welles is offline   Reply With Quote