View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013, 08:11 PM   #6
BMAN_986

Complete Job : Part 1

So I decided to do this job last night. All in all it took a little over 4 hours. Here's a summary and some photos of the install ...

The DRL kit. Ordered from Ebay

I need to ensure I can power them with 10w-15w fuse

Given the way I want to set this up (my original post) I needed a fused feed which is live when the ignition comes on and a feed when the main beams come on. So I decided to go straight to the fuse box. There are a few screws but this thing is pretty easy to take off and out.

After a few volt meter tests I found that the fog lights are live (without being on) with the ignition and the main beam remains live once they are switch on (regardless of high beam or fogs). From the relay diagram

Pin 30 goes to the fused side of the fogs -> Row A Fuse 7
Pin 86 goes to the fused side of the main beam -> Row A Fuse 10

Because the fogs and DRLs can never be on at the same time, the 25w circuit is more than enough.

I created a two wire loom

And a nice label to attach to the loom behind the fuse box

I spliced right into the wires and soldered and taped

The fog is a purple wire
The main beam is a brown on yellow.

I cable tied the loom back up the original car loom. This is important to keep cable tight. I cable tied all the way underneath the drivers dashboard. Loose cables mean rattles!

... this also allows you to run the the cable through the bulkhead just above the the steering column. There's a large gromet you can go through. It comes out behind the battery on the left side. Move the battery to make it easier to push through and route the loom to the right hand side of the car. I don't have any pics of this but can take some if you like.

This pretty much finishes inside the car. Do not reassemble until everything is done

Next I position the DRLs inside the grills.