View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013, 07:26 PM   #1
drbodzin
San Diego Boxster

Garage
Cool DIY Rear Camera Wiring Route

Back-Up Camera Wiring Route

So there are some great forum posts on installing Back-Up Cameras, but I could not find any photos showing the routing of the wire from the head unit to the camera. So here you all go. This is not a full installation explanation. Its simply here to help you route the wire to the back of the car.

This was done as part of my 1998 Boxster Project - Complete Restoration

With the center console remove the wire is routed from the head unit to the rear carpet. (Its the black wire). BTW - That's the new self-contained powered sub-woofer in the background.

I then routed the wire under the foam padding behind the roll bar. Then just continue routing the wire under the foam all the way into the engine compartment (where the convertible top rests).

Along the wall between the engine compartment and the trunk, there is a rubber grommet that you can feed a wire hanger through (white wire). Then use the hanger to pull the wire through to the trunk.

Here is a all the camers wire pulled through to the trunk.

Next, we need to route the wire from the camera into the trunk to connect it.

I drilled a small hole in the bumper cover (see blue tape) and routed the wire hanger to the opening where the left bumperette was removed from. Then I pulled the camera wire through.

You will need to remove the rear spoiler in order to complete this task. Unless someone knows another way.

From inside the trunk (with the spoiler removed) I routed the wire hanger through an opening out to the opening where the bumperette was removed from.

And here is the wire hanger ready for me to attach the black camera wire too.

Once the wire is fished through, the rest is just a matter of connecting the wires.

This is the Back Up Camera I installed. I really like how clean it looks.

And the picture is really super clear.

1998 Black Boxster (owned since 2001)
drbodzin is offline   Reply With Quote