View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013, 01:08 PM   #7
TheProspector

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meir View Post
that looks good.
i have an intention of installing a new glass top in a month or two.
few questions.
which write up did you use? (pelican, mike's, both?)
on mike's write up, he is talking about replacing some foam part:

did you need to do that in your case?

on the pelican write up, Wayne mentioned some plastic rivets that tend to break.
what was your experience with it? (if someone can provide a part number, it will be great)

did you need any specialty tools for the job?
did you needed to use any other parts that did not came with the new top?

thanks in advance.
Meir.
Hey Meir,

When I purchased my top from autotopsdirect, they granted me access to their 40 page install pdf document. That's really all I used... Don't get too intimidated by the install. Just take your time and you should be fine.

Regarding the foam strip, I don't see a need for it. The new top comes with a cardboard type piece that gets glued into that front channel.

As far as the plastic rivets that Pelican mentions: YES, this was my experience as well... In my install, this part was the most difficult part for several reasons. The "how to" from autotops is great, except for the steps involving this part. They don't have decent pictures (a diagram would've been nice) and it lacks a good explanation of what you're trying to do. Getting the top both on and off this part was the most frustrating part. This is where a little experience would come into play and more research than I did.

If I had to do it over again, I would buy new plastic pieces with the rivets just to have a new part since they are so fragile. Mine were slightly broken before I even touched them, so either someone in the past had messed with it, or they are that fragile just sitting there... My experience says you're in there anyway, if they are relatively cheap parts, might as well replace.

The biggest tip I have is to take those pieces completely out for the install. Autotops suggests that you just take out the one screw that holds the tension cable in, but I would also take out the screw on the opposite side of it and pop the 2 rivets out, and pull the piece up and out. You are supposed to fold a flap of canvas under that piece and it's just too difficult to get to with it on the car. So I say, take them out, slide the new canvas into the slots, fold the canvas/plastic end under the "J channel" and hold that part tucked under as you reinstall the plastic piece. Then pop the 2 rivets back in, and screw in the front screw with the cable eyelet as well as the rear screw that holds the back of that plastic piece in.

I hope this helps/makes sense. It will once you are involved in the removal/install.

If you don't get new plastic parts, don't sweat it, just be careful and mindful when you pop them out. I don't think Porsche would've engineered them to really hold much on their own being plastic. It seems the tension of the top itself really hold the parts on. So, if you get new parts, great, if not, don't worry, just be mindful. I'm just basing buying new on hindsight and "while you're there" mentality.

As far as parts, no, it comes with everything. Your autotopsdirect pdf will give you a list of tools you need. Just the 3M yellow spray adhesive. Autozone carried it. Just make sure you get that exact adhesive. Other than that, rubber mallet or hammer if you're careful, scissors, torx drivers, screw driver (flat and Phillips), an pliers. You will need a longer torx 25 driver (I believe) for that aforementioned plastic part. I had just a short collapsible set and it was too short to get to that front cable screw. Also, the new cable eyelets needed to be made larger to fit the screw, and it was easier to drill the hole in the canvas rather than using a pick like they mention. So I used a drill bit and driver for both. Worked great.

Again, hope that helps anyone's install.

Last edited by TheProspector; 04-01-2013 at 01:16 PM.
TheProspector is offline   Reply With Quote