View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013, 07:02 AM   #4
TheProspector

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeching View Post
Hi, congrats with new top, i had same issue as you with water leak from plastic window and musty smell from carpets, changed to new top and now no leaks.
If you had this problem over long time i've would check under the footrest carpet for any moist or maybe rust wich have developed over long period.

check this thread:
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/36755-interior-water-leak-problem.html
Thank you for the link. Since the first time I noticed the stank after washing or rain, I did a lot of reading about drains, the under seat hazards of water damage, etc. and did a lot of feeling around. It was frustrating because I was sure it had to be a drain because the only noticeable crack in the plastic window wasn't the location of much water leakage. Checking the drains and seeing they were clear, it really was by chance that I stuck my hand in the "behind the headrest" open storage cubby where I felt standing water. It was like water would leak in right above the driver's side rollbar and drip down into it and stand there.

I will note that I noticed a little bit of wind noise from the front drivers side of the top this morning driving to work that wasn't there before. I'm going to make sure everything is seated properly after work since we're expecting rain in the next few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
Looks great. Too bad your in Oklahoma! I'd be your second customer.

I had the plastic window replaced and regret it. The $400 would have been better spent towards a whole new top. Maybe I could have pulled off a new top and installation all in for $1000. Now I'll really have to shop smart.
Taking the top to a shop to replace just the plastic window with a new one was my first thought until I read up on it.

I'd gladly install one. I think in just doing it the one time, I know a few tricks and esp what to expect, I could get through it with no problem. I was really surprised that there wasn't much stretching and pulling to get things tight when doing this. That was my biggest expectation... It's actually easy to get things too tight, causing the top not to close all the way.

Last edited by TheProspector; 04-01-2013 at 07:12 AM.
TheProspector is offline   Reply With Quote