View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 01:50 PM   #25
Perfectlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyA6 View Post
It is truly a -so-to-say- a manual without having to use the 3rd pedal.
an automatic is an automatic. There are crappy automatics. Then there are quick automatics that cleverly place paddles on the steering wheel to heighten the realism. Still an automatic...
The only way it can be a manual, is if driver and trans are directly connected. You can make a mistake in a manual, PDK will never make a mistake: thus its an automatic Porsche.

Also, there is no debate, an automatic Porsche and an automatic Ferrari will always be faster than a human shifted Pcar or Fcar. But the possibility of error is what makes for good racing and separates great drivers with fast laptimes from mediocre drivers with fast laptimes. Any form of racing that de-emphasizes the role of driver is inherently compromised form of racing. Sure the lap times will be faster but the racing will be processional (aka parades of boring) as a driver rarely get its wrong in a corner where error leaves him exposed. Removing the possibility of error also allows a mediocre driver to get closer to the pole position time. All this racing is sacrificed so that the lap time can go down two seconds? How many fans will miss two seconds? They'll miss the racing.

IMHO manuacturers should be working on making the cars more durable not easier to drive. This is most evident when you see a mortal weekend driver in a 996 that gets within a few seconds of a factory driver in a Cup Car. That gap going up in smoke is taking the racing with it. As far as regular driver in a regular road going Porsche, I guess it makes sense you do a lot of daily driving. Too bad for Ferrari though....I've had to cancel my order every year now.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-22-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote