View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 11:53 AM   #21
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
I have to respectfully disagree. Driven PDK on both street and track and I hate them. Even with the paddles you might as well just put it in Auto and get on the cell phone and let the car do the work for you.

Looking forward, a fully robotic car that requires no human driver and is faster than any human isn't far off. I'll hate that even more.

The deal is, I came to drive, not spectate while the computer drives for me.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But like many of the Porsche factory drivers, I really think the PDK will improve the lap times for many, if not all but the most adept track drivers.

I just spent some time in a two week old 458 Italia Spyder on some twisty back roads, the Ferrari equivalent of the PDK made the experience of driving a powerful but unfamiliar car an absolute joy. And as in the case of the PDK, in the manual mode you still have the full sense of car control, just handled differently than a shifter handle in your right hand.

What I have never understood are those that say the new technology is somehow "effeminate". On another website, some posters actually chided someone ordering a new car with the PDK to get the car in the color pink to show what a pansy he was for not ordering a "manly" transmission. It is just a different technology that in some cases, such as those without the use of all their limbs, or those that are not proficient with a clutch pedal and shifter to enjoy a performance based car. I really don't see choosing a PDK so your better half can also enjoy the car as endangering your masculinity.