View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 11:41 AM   #20
shadrach74

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Actually, the gearbox section of a PDK is exactly the same as the conventional seven speed manual unit, the PDK just has a wet dual clutch setup and electronic controls. So economy of scale does not come into play.
I have been singing this tune to the detractors for months. Trying to explain that there is a difference between an automated manual and "manumatic" is like banging you head against a wall... I enjoy PDK a great deal. I'm not ready to give up my clutch pedal yet, but that's my own hang up. I like the gratification that comes with a well executed heal and toe. However I freely admit that with PDK the car simply relieves the driver of the throttle and clutch work and executes both of those functions both faster and smoother than I ever could...and with absolute consistency.

So what I don't get is why people poo poo PDK so much. I was skeptical before I drove one, but was open to the possibilities.

While I look forward to improvements in the driver interface (I'm not a huge fan of +\- stick action), the electronic actuator of the gearbox is a fantastic piece of technology and it will only get better.
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote