View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013, 04:37 AM   #36
Frodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF-Rockster View Post
:ah:

People with money know how to keep their money.
Say what ever you like, you got raped by the dealer.
There are tons of independent shops that can easily do the same job for half the price.
Just saying mister RICH guy.
Hey, why don't we (you) back off a bit here, guys. Few of us on this board are in the poor house (though many of us---me included---are far from being "RICH guys"). That being the case, by and large we have the option of wrenching our own cars or having someone else do it. I had done NO wrenching when I got my Box (7 years back), but with all the DIY stuff online I decided I'd defray costs as much as I could by learning to work on as many things as I could. I've done oil changes, an alternator, water pump/thermostat, front motor mount, brakes, a wheel bearing, and a few other less involved items.

But when I discovered torn axle boots a couple years ago, I made the decision to have the folks at a trusted shop work on it instead of doing it myself. (I had previously made the mistake M1Ark made, getting screwed by a dealorship with their ridiculously inflated rates. I'd bet many if not most people here have as well! Live and learn.) Could I have done this job at home? Yeah, given enough time I'm sure I probably could have, despite my limited experience. But, at the time I made the decision that my time was better spent elsewhere and, yes, though not a "RICH guy" I could afford to pay someone else to do this. Most of us have this option with most projects that need to be done on our cars. Just because someone makes the decision to go this route shouldn't make him a target here. Lighten up...

Last edited by Frodo; 03-20-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote