View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013, 11:16 AM   #15
NoGaBiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallai View Post
Good question..I'm not sure how much "comfort" I'm gonna be giving up by getting fixed seats ala Status..

I'm wondering if the no recline in a fixed seat is gonna drive me nuts and I should get a reclinable..

Anybody have that problem?
Well, since I never recline my seat in the Boxster except to get it back to the proper position after the car wash guy adjusts it for his 5-3 self, I'd say the only way to answer your question is to know if the fixed angle of a seat you're considering is the same as the angle you prefer to adjust your adjustable seat to. (assuming here that you're the only regular driver.) If it is, then you won't know the difference. If it's not, then you should try and duplicate the angle with your current seat and see if you can live with it.

The other factor is this: there's a reason street-driven cars, even Porsches, have the smallish seat and seatback bolsters they have. A true track seat (sch as the Sparcos mentioned above) have such deep bolsters that getting in and out with a fixed position, non-removable steering wheel is a real pita. Used to put Sparcos in a dual purpose Miata I had back in the day. I'd install them for a track weekend, then get lazy and not take them out for a week or so afterwards. I just wouldn't drive the car for the most part, it was such a pain getting in and out (and using 6-pt harness as well.)

Of course, GT3-style seats are meant to be the best compromise between those extremes. You don't have to drop down into them like you do a race seat, but they still provide tons more lateral support than the stock seats, even the slightly deeper Sport Seats. But the price is that they are that much harder to slide into than the stock seats. It's all a trade-off.
NoGaBiker is offline   Reply With Quote