View Single Post
Old 12-30-2005, 06:39 PM   #8
mjw930

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigislandboxster
This seems a bit confusing to me.....If the N designation was approved by Porsche, what would be wrong with putting N2's with N3's? Aren't we splitting hairs a bit on this? I have N2's in the back with N3's in the front, same brand of tire Pirelli Zeros, and I have had zero problems!

Just because they say not to do it doesn't sound good enough to me, because I'm not hearing WHY this is not advised?

Don't they also say not to use any tire without the N specification, but plenty of people on this board have had great success using non N specified tires?

Sorry for the rant...but...

Call me skeptical
What's wrong with mixing N versions is that the different numbers indicate a different tire. Either the compound or construction or both have changed, hence the different number.

The Why is as simple as That's what it is stated in the manual. It didn't find it's way into the manual to take up space, it's there because the engineers know a little more than the guy at your local tire store.

As for using Non N-Spec tires, I never said that was a problem. As long as you maintain the minimum speed and load ratings of the OEM tire you won't have any safety issues and I agree, there are a lot of people using non N-Spec tires without a problem and in fact, my track tires are not N-Spec.

Current Porsches:
2004 Cayenne Turbo
2003 Boxster S
Past Porsches:
1989 911 turbo
1981 911SC
1984 944
1973 914
mjw930 is offline   Reply With Quote