View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013, 06:54 AM   #13
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach74 View Post
This...

I've been stranded twice by plastic WP impellers that split in half. I've had only one metal pump fail, which amounted to a minor leak long before catastrophic failure was likely. I'm sure others have legitimate reasons for their feelings on the subject, but my experience is that the "metal mill" scenario is one that I've only heard substantiated second hand. Lots of grim warnings about the risks, but no pics or rist hand accounts. Is there any one out there that has pics of their damaged block from a metal impeller??
We have had three cars in the shop that had the engine cases ruined by metal impellers on aftermarket pumps that had to have replacement engines. In addition, we have had others where the engine cases were torn up, but still intact enough to be used, although they needed extensive work to clean the fine metal dust out of the cooling systems before they could go into service. And in each case, they suffered overheating issues because the clearance between the rear of the impeller and the engine cases was now large enough to reduce the pump's ability to move coolant.

Listen to Jake; he is spot on with this problem.............